Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sliceform Christmas Ball Ornament with a Snowflake Inside



This sliceform Christmas ball ornament has evolved from my first globe sliceform which was a solid sphere. It is essentially the same design with the center cut out.  When making this ornament, I would recommend using good quality cardstock.  The slits need to be exact as this will cause the slices to insert correctly into one another and look evenly spaced.

Here is the PDF file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYQ0R6dzZFWUlkQlE/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-n5fW7_3GLgzXgD0ryuiTKg

Here is the .Studio file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYRUh0dHZyOVBtZjg/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-bTVuQ4Q4gJlX8Mv2pFnLIA

Here is the SVG.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h-_URh_Fp8fXOG3PwIJ98Mdp2-wbll8l/view?usp=sharing


 Make the Sliceform Ball by starting with the center and going outward.
Make the Snowflake by bending the two pieces with the perforated edges and inserting it into the piece without the perforations and a little slit in the center.
 
Glue the snowflake into the center of the Christmas Ball by attaching the two slits together.
Make the hangar by wrapping the rectangular piece into a circle as shown above.
 
Add the rest of the slices to complete the Christmas Ball.
I added an additional rectangular piece of shiny paper around the hangar for interest.
 
Another Christmas Ornament to add to my collection...Lovely!
 
Update...
 
I added a new perfect snowflake design since the one above is a little complicated.  I made five of them for the administrative assistants in my office.  As I was making them, I thought of another snowflake design that is easier to assemble.  It folds like an accordion into a six sided snowflake.
 
Here is the PDF of this new snowflake design.
 
 
Here is the .Studio file.
 
 

 

13 comments:

  1. Hard to get to stay together when putting together bu I loved it. Gonna make lots of these. Next time I will try using much better card stock I think that would help. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i love this, thank you so much.
    Any chance of making a fancy slice form Christmas tree pop up card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already made one...https://papercraftetc.blogspot.com/2018/11/pop-up-christmas-tree-card.html 😊

      Delete
  3. Hi! When I tried to download the studio file, it is requesting a password. Do you happen to have an svg file?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My files reside on Google Drive and Google wants you to log into your Google account in order to access the file. I have added an SVG file for this Christmas ornament.

      Delete
  4. I only get page one of the svg file and if I download the pdf and try to convert it to svg it doesn't work for Cricut Design Space. Very frustrating because I love all your designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SVG file is larger than the area shown. When viewing the file, zoom out and you should see the rest of the design.

      Delete
  5. I also only see one page even when I've zoomed out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry but I don’t see the problem when I download the file to the Silhouette program. When I download the file, I see the entire file. The PDF shows the entire file so maybe you can copy that file and adjust it to your design space?

      Delete
  6. I managed to open the svg file in canvas workspace and it shows the full design parts, but it changes the size :( Could you tell me the width of the project so that I can adjust the size? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a big failure for me. Never could get the blasted thing to stay together. Ive put many slice forms together and for some reason this one never would stay together. Beautiful but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry it didn’t work for you. I just looked at my directions and I do believe they are a little vague. Try looking at the directions for this sliceform...https://papercraftetc.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-sliceform-snow-globe-with-ice-skating.html

      Delete