Thursday, December 19, 2013

Paper Snow Globe Sliceform for Christmas Gift Giving


 Snow Globe Sliceform

This snow globe is adorable.  It took me hours to design but it was worth every second. This is a wonderful Christmas present.  I am sure that any recipient would love to receive it.  It can be mailed as the base is not glued to the globe and everything can fold flat.

 Here is the PDF.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYMHdtSUtrc2hyb28/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-5mbrSDFh1JAfxZRI5b68dg

Here is the .Studio file.  I used cardstock.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7oGIyVDbRGYZ01BSFJxT3hCNkE/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-FvZNgAguZR8xhMvXLKhtbw


 Glue the six scenes together as shown

 Add the tabs to the center of the scenery as shown.

Completed scenery

 Arrange the snow globe base pieces according to size and type of slit.
 Attach all of the top facing slits first.


Completed base.
 Arrange the globe sliceforms according to size and slit position.



 Glue the scenery to the center sliceform as shown.  Be careful not to cover the slit.



 Another view of the attached scenery.

 Continue adding the sliceforms.
 I like to do all of the upward facing slits first.


Completed Snow Globe


Math used for the base were cone minus sphere equations:
Cone slice z = (height of cone/radius of base) x sqrt( x^2 + y^2)
Sphere slice x^2 + y^2 + (z - translation distance)^2 = (radius)^2
Translation distance = (height of cone cutoff) - (sphere radius) - (sink height)
Height of cone cutoff "a" comes from solving: (radius of bottom)/(radius of top) = ((height of base)+a)/a
Sink height = radius of sphere - h
h comes from solving h^2 + (radius of top)^2 = (radius of sphere)^2

#sliceform #paper snow globe







9 comments:

  1. I made a New Zealand themed snow globe for a friend, and this was very helpful as a template. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vacationed in New Zealand last year. Beautiful country with wonderful people! 💕 Glad that you could use my design as a template.

      Delete
  2. Hi Elaine,
    Thank you very much for this wonderful sharing. I have been searching for a long time how to get to this result and I had not found until I arrived here !
    I started to cut your files and assemble the pieces but I see that it is important that the slots have the same dimension as the thickness of the paper (too small, the paper does not enter, and too large the assembly does not hold ;-)
    Could you tell me what the grammage is (or the thickness of the cardboard paper you used, please ?
    I hope that I will succeed because your result is really beautiful but it seems to me that the realization is difficult ;-)))
    Thank you in advance for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly, Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I just updated the file.

      Delete
    2. How fortunat am I that you agree with me and that you took the time (and the time) to correct the file. I will download it immediately. Thanks a thousand times Elaine ♥ (and thanks for the weight of the paper. 176g/m2 is indeed not very thick and this justifies that the slots are not too wide)
      Thanks again a lot, Elaine ;-o

      Delete
  3. After cutting the circles, I see very clearly that all the slots do not have the same width. Is this normal? Do I have to correct the cutting file and give the same width to all slots ?
    And do I also have to provide a width of the slots equal to the thickness of my cardboard ?
    Thank you very much for your help if possible,
    Polly

    ReplyDelete