Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Origami Octahedron and Gyroscope

I am working my way through the book entitled "Beginner's Book of Modular Origami Polyhedra: The Platonic Solids".  The book itself has a lot of interesting origami models.  However, the directions are terrible.  The book misnumbers steps, the diagrams do not show which side of the paper to use and it doesn't tell you how much origami paper you need to complete the model.

This octahedron was simple to make with six water bomb bases. The pieces slid together in about 20 minutes.

I also made this origami gyroscope.  I think it turned out too big.  I used a 4x4 square. Next time, I will be more mindful of the size. Another gripe about this book...they should suggest paper size.  I do like the square cut out in the middle thoug...a window to the other side.